FIFA ethics investigators have confirmed they are going to examine claims of wrongdoing in the bidding process for the 2022 World Cup finals which were awarded to Qatar.
Allegations regarding Qatar's winning bid have circulated since the tournament was awarded in December 2010 despite numerous denials by the Gulf state's organising committee.
Now, FIFA has said that a fresh investigation will take place into the bidding process for the 2022 World Cup and the 2018 tournament which was won by Russia.
In a statement, the chairmen of FIFA's Adjudicatory and Investigative Chambers — Judge Hans-Joachim Eckert and Michael J Garcia - said: "As has been publicly announced, certain allegations regarding events surrounding the bidding for the World Cup 2018 and 2022 were referred to the Ethics Committee by FIFA following media reports.
"We intend to conduct a thorough review of those allegations, including the evidentiary basis for and credibility of any allegations of individual misconduct."
In November last year, organisers of the Qatar 2022 World Cup tournament hit back at bribery allegations published in UK media, calling the reports "malicious and reckless".
The Sunday Times newspaper claimed Qatar officials considered offering $1m to the son of Amos Adamu, a member of the FIFA Executive Committee that handed the tournament to the Gulf state in December 2010.
Qatar has consistently denied any suggestion of foul play accusing those who tried to undermine its bid of a smear campaign.
Many critics have called into question Qatar's size, its lack of footballing heritage and the hot summer weather as barriers to hosting the tournament.